© Emanuel Burri
© Michel Maillard
Name of group: IBDnet (www.ibdnet.ch)
The IBDnet is a Swiss interest group of medical doctors and scientists specialising in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. The aim is the promotion of research and communication on aetiology, diagnosis and therapy in order to improve patient outcomes.
Number of active members: 137
Switzerland has roughly 475 gastroenterologists and hepatologists, 350 of whom are located in the German-speaking part of Switzerland and 125 in the French- and Italian-speaking part.
The IBDnet has 122 members, with a steering committee of 15 IBD specialists.
Number of meetings per year:
- Steering committee meetings: four per year; one General Assembly per year.
- Educational meetings with credits for HCPs: One or two major (2- or 3-day meetings, postgraduate course) and 10–12 minor (half-day meetings or webinars)
- Educational meetings for IBD Nurses: Two 1-day meetings
- Expert meetings: The IBDnet holds one or two expert meetings per year to develop Swiss expert opinions for peer-reviewed publication.
- Patient Relations: The IBDnet broadly supports and organises four to six patient events or webinars per year in collaboration with the patient association CCS (Crohn Colitis Switzerland). Most speakers at these patient information events are IBDnet steering committee members. Furthermore, in collaboration with the patient association, IBDnet develops and releases patient information guidebooks.
Meetings in 2020: 17 accredited educational activities (11 webinars for HCPs, three webinars for patients, two 1-day nurse workshops, one 3-day postgraduate course)
President and Secretary: President: Stephan Vavricka, Zurich, Secretary: Nadine Zahnd-Straumann, Zurich
National Representatives: Emanuel Burri, Liestal and Michel H. Maillard, Lausanne
Joined ECCO in: Switzerland was among the founding members of ECCO.
Incidence of IBD in the country: No exact number available. IBD incidence is estimated to be 2 per 1000 persons per year.